Our History
History of St. Luke African Methodist Episcopal Church Fayetteville, North Carolina

Approximately a decade after the Civil War, a small band of devout people gathered regularly at the home of Mrs. Amanda Thomas, in south-east Fayetteville for prayer, exhortation, comfort and charity. Mrs. Thomas, a member and a truly Christian woman, allowed her home to be the meeting place without charge.
Dedicated to redemption and the desire to flee from the wrath to come these devout people longed for a leader to make plain to them the word of God and to minister to them. Answering the call of these people, Bishop D.A. Payne of the AME Church sent the Rev. J.E. Barham, a church builder, and outstanding preacher and one of the great Bible scholars of the AME Church of Fayetteville.
Since there was no adequate meeting place, Rev. Barham secured the City Hall for worship. Later on, he rented McKeithan's Hall. In this memorable place he organized St. Luke AME Church in September of 1879 with thirty members.
In October, 1879 the Annual Conference was held at St. Stephens AME Church in Wilmington, NC. At this conference Rev. Barham made his own appointment. Returning to St Luke AME Church he began organizing his small band of members for the task of Kingdom building.

Interest was so high in the newly established church that a large number of white citizens asked Rev. J.E.C .Barham and his members to invite the Annual Conference of 1880 to come to Fayetteville, The Annual Conference accepted the invitation in good faith. The Annual Conference of 1880 was held in Raleigh NC. This was a big disappointment to the white and black citizens of Fayetteville, NC. To sooth the feelings of these good citizens, the Conference voted to meet in Fayetteville, NC in 1881.
In 1881 the church was not doing too well, and Rev, Barham was reassigned to St. Luke to save the church which was faltering and on the verge of folding up. A committee was appointed by the Annual Conference to confer with the trustees on the purchasing of a lot to build a church.
In 1881 a lot was purchased for $85.00 to build the new church. The church was built, but a heavy mortgage was placed upon it to meet construction expenses, fearing the church would be lost and the membership scattered, Rev Barham and friends of the church persuaded the Church Extension Board to pay off the mortgage and take the deed in hand. The salvation of the church property was further insured by a donation from the Annual Conference of 1900. Rev. Barham, who led the committee appointed by the conference, paid $79.00 of the purchase price. This lot was located on Hay Street next to where the Prince Charles Hotel now stands.
After establishing the church, Rev. Barham asked the Bishop to send a good and strong minister to the new charge. The Bishop sent Rev. W.D. Cook. Rev. Cook, after receiving his appointment, stayed a few months and then left for school in Washington, DC. The Bishop then sent Rev. W.C. Cole, a stranger in the Annual Conference, to take over the charge.
Rev. Cole, knowing little of his charge and unacquainted with the establishment of new churches caused the Bishop to send Rev. Barham back to Fayetteville to assist in arranging for the Annual Conference. Rev. Barham with Rev. Cole consent arranged to hold the Conference in the Baptist Church and in the Farmer's Hall.
In the Annual Conference of 190l, Rev. Barham asked Bishop B.F. Lee, Presiding Bishop to relieve him of his charge. He told the Bishop that he had served the charge off and on for twenty years. After Rev. Barham's departure, the church grew slowly under the following minsters: Rev. Hurts 1903, Rev. McEady-1906, Rev. C.C. Alexander-1910, and Rev. Deberry 1914.
The congregation worshipped in the new church built on Hay Street until it was sold in 1917 by Rev. Adam Smith, Pastor, and under Rev. Smiths administration, the trustees and members agreed to move the church to another location. The property was sold and the church was moved to Cashwell Street. The congregation moved to the new building in August 1918. From August 1918 to April 1978 the congregation worshipped at this site. Rev. Smith was followed by Rev. W.A. Fordham. From 1920-1928, Rev. John Mallette and Rev. G.R. Gullins brought with them many new programs and added more souls to the church.
In 1928, under Rev. C. C. Ferguson's administration, a parsonage was purchased. Heretofore, the ministers resided in rented homes. From 1930- 1939, the following ministers served the church and laid the ground work for a new era; Rev. Crowell, Rev. James Grady and Rev. C. L. Stephens.
In 1928, under Rev. C. C. Ferguson's administration, a parsonage was purchased. Heretofore, the ministers resided in rented homes. From 1930- 1939, the following ministers served the church and laid the ground work for a new era; Rev. Crowell, Rev. James Grady and Rev. C. L. Stephens.
Dr. Claud L. Stephens Sr., who came to pastor St. Luke AME Church in the midst of the great depression of the 1930's, accomplished what must have seemed an insurmountable task by paying off the mortgage on the church property. Dr. Stephens, Sr., related that on one occasion her remembered passing out dime gleaners and upon their collection made a payment of $ 500.00 to the mortgage holder in dimes. Rev. Claud L. Stephens, Sr. was followed by Rev. I.H. Alston.

In 1939, Rev. L. R. Pearce was appointed to the charge. In ten years he increased the membership and organized new clubs and auxiliaries. In 1940, he led the officers and members to build a modern brick parsonage and veneer the church

In 1939, Rev. L. R. Pearce was appointed to the charge. In ten years he increased the membership and organized new clubs and auxiliaries. In 1940, he led the officers and members to build a modern brick parsonage and veneer the church
In 1950 Rev. I. J. Miller was appointed to the charge. He continued the program of spiritual and temporal work that was left by Rev. Pearce; he also entertained the Annual Conference during his term as pastor.
In 1954, Dr. Clarence Walker was appointed to the charge. Under his leadership the officers and members paid all old debts on the church and worked for new programs of Kingdom building.
In that same year he was called by Bishop Hemingway to preside over the New Bern District.
In anticipation of the coming of Dr. E.G. Terrell in 1969, the church purchased a new parsonage on Barksdale Road in the North Hills section of Fayetteville, NC. Dr. E. G. Terrell of Washington, DC was assigned to the church as its new pastor in 1968. During Dr. Terrell's tenure the church purchased a lot on Cumberland Street to be the site for the new church; however, it was later determined that the lot was too small and the new site was ultimately located on Hillsboro Street. Dr. Terrell served until 1973 then the Rev. H. L. Ingram was appointed.
The congregation grew and changing times made new demands on the congregation. In spite of the fact that some improvements were made from time to time, the facilities proved to be inadequate for the congregation. There was no land space for expansion. The pastor and the trustees with the consent of the membership purchased a plot of land on Hillsboro Street.
The Educational Center of a new church plan was built and on Sunday, April 9, 1978, Rev. H. L. Ingram, Pastor led the congregation from the church on Cashwell Street to the new Educational Center on Hillsboro Street, where they worshipped until the sanctuary was completed. The sanctuary was completed in 1980 and Bishop Henry W. Murph held the 1980 Annual Conference in the new sanctuary.


In early 1984, Dr. Claud L. Stephens, Sr., the Presiding Elder of the Central District of the North Carolina Conference, died, and Bishop John H. Adams appointed Rev. H. L. Ingram as Presiding Elder to replace Dr. Stephens. Also in 1984, Rev. J.A. Humphrey, the Pastor of Mt. Olive Church in Wilmington, was transferred to St. Luke AME in Fayetteville to replace Rev. H. L. Ingram.
In 1984 when Rev. Humphrey came, a section of the educational building was incomplete and under his leadership, the upstairs portion of the educational building was completed. The remaining indebtedness of the parsonage was paid off and it was completely refurnished. The paving in the parking area was completed. The church prospered, souls were being saved and many projects were added. After six years of service to St. Luke AME,
Rev. Humphrey retired in 1990 at the 119th Session of the North Carolina Conference. Rev. Humphrey attended the 121st Session of the North Carolina Conference in Fayetteville; he became ill and subsequently died.
Rev. Sheridan A. Knight was assigned to minister at St. Luke AME. In 1990, an afternoon academy was started with certified teachers and instructors. Master Life Discipleship Classes were added for all officers of the church. Rev. Knight led the congregation until August 11, 2001. He pastored at Saint Luke AME for 11 years.


On August 18, 2001, Rev. David L. Morrison Sr. was assigned to St. Luke AME Church from the Western NC Conference. Under his leadership a fellowship hall was constructed in 2007 to the tune of $725,000. Church canopies were added on both sides of the church. The church sanctuary was painted, new carpet was put in the hallway, offices and vestibules. A computer lab was started with new computers.
Audio and video equipment was purchased, and the parking lots were paved and marked. The new edifice was dedicated by Presiding Elder Rev. H. L. Ingram, Emeritus. The youth renamed the choir The David L. Morrison Sr. Youth Choir. Rev. Morrison ministered at St. Luke AMEC for 14 years and 9 months until his retirement in May of 2015.
In May of 2015, the 146th Session of the North Carolina Annual Conference was held in Goldsboro, NC. Bishop William Devaux, Presiding Prelate under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit assigned the pastor, Rev. Artie Odom Jr. Rev. Odom pastored St Luke AME Church for four years.
In May of 2015, the 146th Session of the North Carolina Annual Conference was held in Goldsboro, NC. Bishop William Devaux, Presiding Prelate under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit assigned the pastor, Rev. Artie Odom Jr. Rev. Odom pastored St Luke AME Church for four years.
Rev. Odom instituted the Leap of Faith Project. The congregation was asked to give $1,000.00 toward a $300.000.00 rally to help liquidate a $700,000.00 mortgage. Within one year the congregation raised over $100.000.00 which was used to pay down the mortgage. A Fifth Sunday Contemporary Service was instituted by Rev. Odom. This service promotes and encourages the youth and young adults to participate in the church. A security system was installed. Audio and Visual aid systems were installed in the sanctuary so that services are live streaming.
Rev. Artie Odom preached and taught strictly the word of God. Souls were saved and God was being praised!


On April 28, 2019, the Rev. Dr. Orin E. Gill Sr. was appointed by bishop James Davis to serve as pastor of St. Luke A.M.E. Church, and this is where we are currently. Accordingly, the membership is increasing, all financial obligations are being met and great plans are in place to pay off the mortgage within the next three years on the multipurpose room. Dr. Gill remain at St. Luke until May of 2023.
In May of 2023, Servant Leader James L. Davis appointed the Rev. Dr. Theresa M. Holmes to St. Luke AME in Fayetteville, NC. Dr. Holmes is the first female ever appointed to St. Luke AME. Since the beginning of her tenure at St. Luke AME, she has worked exceptionally hard in contacting and getting member to reunite with St. Luke AME. In her first year, the congregation has pledged, gave donations and have reduced the mortgage from $125.000 to $50.277.73 with plans to pay the mortgage in full by the end of 2024.
Rev. Holmes has many great ideas for St. Luke, a younger crew with modern plans of getting things done. The church is running smoothly with the Trustees working extremely hard, taking care of the building and grounds. Church services have increased, and the Spirit of the Lord is truly in St. Luke AME once again.
Thanks to the pastor’s leadership, the generous donations, pledges, and fund raisers by the members, the mortgage was paid in full on July 15th, 2024 in the amount of $21, 779.23. “To God Be the Glory for The Great Things He Has Done.”
The early historical data was taken from information provided by the late Dr. C. L. Stephens and Dr. W. T. Holland Sr., former Presiding Elders of the North Carolina Conference. Updated in 2017 by Shirley Thompson, Administrative Assistant of St. Luke AME Church. Updated again in January 2020 by Shirley Thompson. Updated again in March of 2024 by Shirley Thompson. Updated again September 23, 2024
